“Suns out, guns out” is common amongst the buggers when planning a beach day in Cape Town, but for the majority of beach-goers, there is more to the experience than muscles.
Here are 5 things to think about before heading to the beach
1. Books are cool
Laying your colourful towel on the soft sand with the distant sound of waves breaking on the shoreline is the penultimate time to unwind and increase your IQ. Whether you’re jumping on your broomstick with J.K. Rowling or assessing investment returns with Warren Buffet, the beauty of literature & nature will be well worth it.
2. Sunburn is real
We’ve all seen that dude with a backward peak cap and a bright red face walking around the beach. Don’t be that dude. If you’re still not convinced, check out this link about UV rays and how phenomenal sunscreen is at protecting you.
3. Not every beach is the same
You’ve read through the typical tourist brochure of a divine beach and a picture showing the pristine views with hardly anybody sitting on the beach… guess what, everyone has the same thought and that beach is going to be packed. Check out these beaches if you’re still deciding:
- Clifton 4th Beach – If this popular beach is crowded, walk down to 3rd, 2nd, or 1stbeach; this is where the phrase “Granadilla lolly to make you jolly” originated (if this means nothing to you, then you might want to visit 4th beach to hear for yourself)
- Boulders Beach – Picnic amongst the penguins at this beach spot; there is a fee to enter in support of SAN Parks which you can view current costing here
- Muizenberg Beach – Definitely visit this strip if you want to learn how to surf; book a surf lesson at the popular Gary’s Surf School or even rent a surfboard
- Camps Bay Beach – watch out if it’s windy as there is no cover; but this beach is off the Camps Bay main road with the upmarket restaurants and well-known Caprice Cafe
4. Bat & ball
The point of bringing some sports equipment is not to practice your hand-eye coordination, but more to connect with friends and family and make a fool of yourself trying to whack a ball with the sun shining straight into your eyes (oh, don’t forget sunglasses!).
The things to do in Cape Town, South Africa are endless. You have the opportunity to try one every single weekend. Start now.
PS: View another useful blog piece about “Things To Do In Cape Town: 3 Top Tips For A Picnic” if you want more inspiration for this weekend.